The Philadelphia Museum of Art has just installed Franz West’s Lips (2012) in its sculpture garden. The work is the last commission West completed before his death in July.
After West’s death, Walker Art Center chief curator Darsie Alexander and I discussed West’s life and work on Episode No. 40 of The Modern Art Notes Podcast. Alexander was the curator of the only American retrospective of West’s work, which was originated by the Baltimore Museum of Art in 2008 and which traveled to LACMA. Alexander and I had a great time recalling our experiences with West’s work and she told some great stories about spending time with him and in his studio.
Image: Franz West, Lips, 2012. Image via PMA/Gagosian Gallery.
- mimbug reblogged this from 2013mc
- 2013mc reblogged this from manpodcast
- eyesthebye likes this
- eunice-bee reblogged this from philamuseum
- milkshake-n-honey likes this
- callmehats-personal likes this
- brokenpolaroids likes this
- peabodywunderkammer likes this
- thisisanartproject likes this
- modernartnotes likes this
- philamuseum reblogged this from manpodcast
- manpodcast posted this